Sunday, January 20, 2013

Birding in Alabama

Brown Pelican on AL shore
On January 12th 2013 I went birding with some of my 4 of my bunkmates, Jared, Eamon, Matt and Phil. We went to Alabama in search Sprague's Pipit  along with many others. Our first stop was some random field in AL looking for the Pipit's. We did not find the Sprague's Pipit, but we did find a lot of American Pipit's. There were also a ton of Killdeer in the field. Our next stop was the AL shore in search of a Razorbill but it was not clear enough to see out over the water. We saw a Brown Pelican and a bunch of Laughing Gulls.

Laughing Gull  
We made a trip to Dauphin Island, we did not get over to the Gulf shore due to the Mardi Gras parade. However we did go to a park and then we made a stop near the bridge that lead to the island where were saw some shore birds.
Bald Eagle Pair, Dauphin Island AL
Live Oak covered in Spanish Moss

Great Blue Heron near Dauphin Island
Killdeer near Dauphin Island
Bufflehead near Dauphin Island
Willet with Brown Pelican photo bombing
Overall, it was a great day. It was very interesting to go birding with people who know a lot of birds. I have a Nat. Geo. field guide that I keep track of the first time I see a bird. I was able to make several entry's knowing that it was a correct ID since I was birding with knowledgeable birders.

No comments:

Post a Comment